As Samsung S7 Edge is now available to public, many of you must be curious on how to root the device or install custom recovery (TWRP) in your phone so that you can install applications or tools that require root access. So here is a complete process on how to root your Galaxy S7 Edge and install TWRP on it. Before proceeding make sure that you have enough knowledge about rooting and custom recoveries. In case you have messed with your device you can flash your device with official factory images that are available here.
Please note that this tutorial will only work on International SM-G935F/FD/X, and Canadian SM-G935W8 Exynos Edge model, DO NOT TRY in other models.
Steps Before Rooting
- Charge your phone at least 60% or above.
- Backup all your phone data.
How To Root Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F/FD/X
- Download Odin compatible version from here (1.02MB).
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers from here (15.3MB).
- Download twrp-3.0.0-1-hero2lte.tar.md5 from here (36.3MB).
- Now extract Odin zip file and run Odin. Now place twrp-3.0.0-1-hero2lte.tar.md5 file in [AP] slot and keep the other options at default.
- Press the Start button.
- Now go to your phone recovery by holding [Volume Up] + [Home] buttons near the end of the flash, and keep holding them until you are in recovery.
- Now in the recovery screen, go to [Wipe] and then [Format Data] and then type “YES” to format phone data.
- Now go to [Reboot] and then [Recovery], so that your phone get rebooted in to recovery.
- Now download the zip file from here (420KB) and transfer it to your phone without leaving recovery.
- Now install the above downloaded zip file (no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip) via TWRP [install] option.
- Now download the latest version of SuperSU from the official website.
- Again place this file in your phone without leaving the recovery and install SuperSU in TWRP.
- Now reboot your phone by visiting [Reboot] and then [System]
- This will restart your device and it will take some time to boot (around 10-15 minutes).
- Congrats, you have successfully rooted your Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge now.
Please make sure to follow the above steps carefully, else you may end up with a bricked device. If you have any query related to Galaxy S7 Edge rooting process, feel free to comment below.
To get more updates on Samsung devices, stay tuned with us. We will soon write tutorials on how to root other variants of Galaxy S7 Edge and S7.